Sunday, May 2, 2010

Homemade Baked Beans - Success!

Okay so I didn't realise that these were going to turn out so deliciously amazing.
Therefore, there are very few photos.

Shane and I saw a recipe for spiced baked beans and baked eggs and were interested to try it.
But ever since I came across 2 separate packets of bad eggs, all I can think about when it comes to eggs is that terrible smell. Yuck. Turned me off eggs altogether unfortunately...
Bypassing the eggs was a good idea I think - it turns out that my baked beans were absolutely perfect on English muffins!
Mmmm yum! Perfect Sunday brunch!

So! To make these yummy baked beans (Baked? No. Simmered? Yes.) for 2 people as a main (it would do probably 4 people as an accompaniment) I used the following:
1 tin cannellini beans
1 tin chopped tomatoes
About a tablespoon of sweet paprika (add more (in my case) or less to taste)
Some herbs, I used dry ones: parsley & basil
1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons of sweet chili sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons of tomato paste
A splodge of tomato sauce
and I used a couple of herb/spice blends that we had here at home, one was a Perri perri grinder and the other was a 'hot & spicy herb mix'
1/2 cup water
Salt and pepper

Basically I simmered the tomatoes and everything else apart from the beans and water.
I let it go for about 5 mins and then added the rinsed (in cold water) beans.
Let it simmer for 5 mins again and added the water.
Then I simmered it for a further 25 minutes to let the sauce reduce and get all delicious!
Thats about it! Of course, you should taste it as you go and add more of whatever, to your taste.

They were nice and spicy what with all the chili and pepper hehe. Obviously don't add it if you don't like heat.
I'll definitely be making these again!
Next time I think I'll add some Harissa to it as well.




2 comments:

  1. Oh dear, two lots of bad eggs would be rather offputting. I haven't experience rotten eggs yet (and hopefully won't) but a good recovery with this dish! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yahoo a comment section has been set up! The spiced beans look so good! Better than that canned stuff for sure!

    ReplyDelete